Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, bouillon, bay leaf, garlic, salt, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir in mixed vegetables and barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 233 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup
"I believe that this is the recipe from the back of the box of barley."
"very tasty,everyone loved it,even better next day..it is now a go-to recipe ."