Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, bouillon, bay leaf, garlic, salt, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir in mixed vegetables and barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 233 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup
"I believe that this is the recipe from the back of the box of barley."
"very tasty,everyone loved it,even better next day..it is now a go-to recipe ."