My mom picked up this barley soup recipe in her fitness class and passed it to me. It’s loaded with goodness! Sometimes, I substitute ground turkey as the meat and use chicken bouillon instead of beef flavored.—Emily Melton, Prophetstown, Illinois
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, bouillon, bay leaf, garlic, salt, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in mixed vegetables and barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup in Country Woman April/May 2010, p46
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2014
"I believe that this is the recipe from the back of the box of barley."
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2011
"very tasty,everyone loved it,even better next day..it is now a go-to recipe ."