My mom picked up this barley soup recipe in her fitness class and passed it to me. It’s loaded with goodness! Sometimes, I substitute ground turkey as the meat and use chicken bouillon instead of beef flavored.—Emily Melton, Prophetstown, Illinois
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, bouillon, bay leaf, garlic, salt, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in mixed vegetables and barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup in Country Woman April/May 2010, p46
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review