“Every Italian-American family I know seems to have their own version of meatball soup. This recipe is based on my family’s version.” Christie Ladd — Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, bread crumbs, cheese and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute carrots and celery in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta; cook 10-12 minutes longer or until vegetables and pasta are tender. Add meatballs and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Meatball Soup in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009, p27
Reviews for Hearty Turkey Meatball Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review