Hearty Turkey Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, onion and celery over medium heat or until the meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 329 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 738 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.