Hearty Turkey Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, onion and celery over medium heat or until the meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups: 329 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Reviews for Hearty Turkey Chili
"I am always on the look out for recipes that contain as many super foods as possible so I gave this recipe 5 stars for the ingredient list, because it's filled with all that's good for you! It's filled with some super foods, like lean ground turkey breast, tomato paste, onions, garlic and beans that all contribute to optimal health. Based only on flavor, I would give this recipe 2.5 stars. We found the flavor quite boring as written so to pep it up in addition to the cumin, I added a medley of chili powder, chipotle chile pepper, paprika and oregano... about 1/2 Tablespoon each. I did omit the crushed red pepper flakes. I always add a secret ingredient to this chili recipe... canned pumpkin! Pumpkin is another super food that adds a healthy dose of beta carotene and fiber to any chili recipe. Picky eaters will never know those extra veggies are in there! With the changes I made, I will definitely be making this recipe again."
"This was a big hit at a small church meeting. Now everyone who ate it thinks I'm a good cook. Hope I never disappoint them! I substituted 32 oz. tomato sauce for the veggie juice."
"Easy and healthy. We used half the ground turkey and an extra can of kidney beans, and it was just perfect. Parents and kids all liked it!"