Hearty Turkey & Rice
“We love this tasty dinner. It’s quick to prepare, making it a great (and yummy!) meal when you’re running late.” You’ll love the easy cleanup, too! Joan Hallford - North Richland Hills, Texas
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Chopped tomatoes, baked tortilla chip scoops and sliced ripe olives, optional
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray,
- cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the salsa, tomato sauce, bouillon and salt; heat through.
- Serve with rice; top with cheese and sour cream. Garnish with
- tomatoes, chips and olives if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup turkey mixture with 3/4 cup rice (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 354 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 732 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch,