Hearty Turkey & Rice Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups Minute® Brown Rice
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, baked tortilla chips and sliced ripe olives
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles. Add salsa, tomato sauce, bouillon and salt; heat through.
Serve with rice, cheese, sour cream and, if desired, toppings of your choice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled turkey mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup turkey mixture with 3/4 cup rice (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 354 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 732 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.