“We love this tasty dinner. It’s quick to prepare, making it a great (and yummy!) meal when you’re running late.” You’ll love the easy cleanup, too! Joan Hallford - North Richland Hills, Texas
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, baked tortilla chips and sliced ripe olives
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles. Add salsa, tomato sauce, bouillon and salt; heat through.
Serve with rice, cheese, sour cream and, if desired, toppings of your choice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled turkey mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Turkey & Rice in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p59
Reviews for Hearty Turkey & Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review