Here's a jazzed-up version of Mom's tuna casserole that's sure to be comfort food for the whole family! Jan Heshelman of Bloomfield, Indiana adds pizzazz to the traditional dish with mustard, sour cream, thyme and zucchini. "I found this recipe in a magazine," says Jan. "It is one of the few dishes with zucchini that my husband will eat."
- 3 cups uncooked yolk-free wide noodles
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 celery rib with leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, tuna, zucchini, sour cream, celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, thyme and salt.
- Spoon half into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with tomato.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Tuna Casserole in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p56
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty Tuna Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review