Hearty Tortilla Casserole Recipe
Being single, I often halve this recipe to yield a meal for one plus a lunch I can take to work. When co-workers remark on how good it looks, I ask them over to try it, then pass along the recipe. It's hot but not overpowering. -Terri Nelson, Warren, Minnesota
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 Anaheim or Poblano chilies, roasted, peeled and finely chopped or 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- 1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and water. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes; remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, saute onion, chilies, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 3. Stir in cream and salt. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4. Spread 3 tablespoons sauce in an ungreased 8-in. round or square baking dish. Spread about 2 teaspoons sauce on each tortilla; layer with beans, beef mixture and 2 tablespoons of each kind of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 2-4 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 657 calories, 35 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 1,442 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Tortilla Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC