Hearty Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 Anaheim or Poblano chilies, roasted, peeled and finely chopped or 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and water. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes; remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute onion, chilies, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cream and salt. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread 3 tablespoons sauce in an ungreased 8-in. round or square baking dish. Spread about 2 teaspoons sauce on each tortilla; layer with beans, beef mixture and 2 tablespoons of each kind of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Tortilla Casserole
Sort By :
"I've made this before using canned peppers. This time I used fresh poblano and Jalpeno. I didn't have refried beans, but I did have black beans. I used 2 Tbsp black beans on each tortilla. And as I always do, I up the amount of whipping cream to 1/2 cup. It works so much better that way. I got compliments this time."
"my little ones aren't fond of peppers and onions, so I made it withoug most of the sauce items. Still it was so good and gave a creamer texture then my usual enchiladas."