Diana Lauhon of Minerva, Ohio modified a soup recipe to suit her family's tastes while taking advantage of convenience foods. "Once you brown the sausage, it's a snap to throw in the other ingredients and let them simmer. Frozen tortellini is added minutes before serving for a savory soup that tastes like you spent hours making it."
- 3 uncooked Italian sausage links (1/2 to 3/4 pound)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- 2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cut sausage into 3/4-in. pieces; brown in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Drain. Add the water, tomatoes, soup, coleslaw mix and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover; add tortellini. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until pasta is tender. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Tortellini Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p15
Reviews for Hearty Tortellini Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2010
"This was by far the best soup recipe I came across last year. My teenagers and husband say it is their favorite soup ever!! Definitely a family favorite at my house!!"