Hearty Tomato-Olive Penne Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 10 tomatoes)
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 block (24 ounces) Havarti cheese, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, basil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions; drain.
- Stir the Havarti cheese, olives and cooked penne into the sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Tomato-Olive Penne(2)
Sort By :
Delicious and light. I love the flavors of this recipe. They are perfect. However I tried to cheat with regular olives because they are cheaper and it was a wrong decision. Klamata olives are worth it
Very easy to make & just the right amount of everything. Nice little kick with the crushed red pepper flakes. My boyfriend said it was a keeper!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >