Hearty Tomato-Olive Penne Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 10 tomatoes)
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 block (24 ounces) Havarti cheese, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, broth, basil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Stir Havarti cheese, olives and cooked penne into the sauce. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Tomato-Olive Penne
Sort By :
"Delicious and light. I love the flavors of this recipe. They are perfect. However I tried to cheat with regular olives because they are cheaper and it was a wrong decision. Klamata olives are worth it"
"Very easy to make & just the right amount of everything. Nice little kick with the crushed red pepper flakes. My boyfriend said it was a keeper!"