Hearty Tomato Bisque Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces soft tofu, drained and crumbled (1 cup)
- 1-1/2 cups soy milk
- 3/4 cup salad croutons
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, honey, rosemary, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in tofu and soy milk. Cool slightly. In a blender or food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan and heat through. Garnish with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup bisque with 2 tablespoons croutons equals 156 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 432 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.