Between the lycopene from the crushed tomatoes and soy protein from the tofu and soymilk this soup from Lisa Renshaw of Kansas City, Missouri offers a powerful heart healthy punch. “You'll never want canned soup again,” writes Lisa.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces soft tofu, drained and crumbled (1 cup)
- 1-1/2 cups soy milk
- 3/4 cup salad croutons
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, honey, rosemary, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; stir in tofu and soy milk. Cool slightly. In a blender or food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan and heat through. Garnish with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Tomato Bisque in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p61
Reviews for Hearty Tomato Bisque
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review