- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup V8 juice
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 envelopes chili seasoning
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, juice, coffee and chili seasoning.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Tex-Mex Chili
"Great base chili! I made alterations to make it healthier and it was superb! I added 1 chopped zucchini, 3 thinly slices carrots, reduced meat to 1lb and taco seasoning to 1 tablespoon. My husband, the meat lover raved over it (and didn't even mind the veggies)."
"This is my families favorite chili recipe. DELICIOUS!"
"This is pretty good. I didn't have the packets of chili seasoning so I created my own. Tasted delicious with a little cheese sprinkled on top and a dollop of sour cream."
"I made a few modifications and LOVED it, literally the best chili I have ever had. I used 2.25 lbs of ground beef, added 3 leftover corn cobs (corn cut off the cob), and some jalapeños for heat."
"I absolutely love this chili. When I make this again I have to leave out the diced tomatoes because of my picky husband. He said he liked it except for the tomatoes."
"Delicious! Thats all I have to say, unless a thanks to Martha & TOH! Carolyn"
"This recipe wasn't spicey enough. I guess we like chili that has zing to it! We each had a bowl of it and I threw out the rest. It wasn't worth eating."
"I recently made this for co-workers, was told I can make it anytime I wanted. I couldn't find the ranch style beans, so I improvised by using a can of pinto beans and ranch salad dressing."
"This chili is hearty and warm. Even my picky kids like this recipe. I used the hot and spicy V8 instead of the regular and it was excellent."
"I've never been a big chili fan but my husband loves it so I decided to try this recipe. It was amazing! I changed it some (beef broth instead of V8 because I hate V8) and next time I make it I will probably add less cumin, but it was wonderful!"