- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 cup canned red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 cups coarsely crushed nacho tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons green goddess salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons prepared ranch salad dressing
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Divide the salad greens between two salad bowls or plates. Top with beans, half of the tortilla chips and the beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, tomato, onion, olives and remaining chips; drizzle with salad dressings. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Taco Salad
Sort By :
"This was great. I used black beans and added some chipotle chiles in adobo sauce to the meat to give it some heat, rather than using hot sauce. I also put it all into a taco salad shell and used shredded cheddar and a runny cheddar sauce I made. Who cares if the calories are high. A meal like this obviuosly is not too healthy so if you dont like it, just dont eat it. Dont complain about it."
"Season with low salt/salt free Mexican seasonings--make your own to taste: a little chili powder, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, etc. will reduce the sodium. Low sodium beans, if you prefer, extra lean ground beef, low fat or fat free cheese. make your own low fat dressing or use favorite salsa and some low fat/fat free sour cream. I like throwing on some sliced avacado and skipping the cheese and crushed chips."
"Sounds good, however, the calories, fat and sodium are over the top."
"I'm concerned about the calories in this salad. If that is correct, I will never make this salad or eat one again."