- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Corn chips, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the beans, hominy, tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, salad dressing mix, taco seasoning and pepper.
- In a blender, combine diced tomatoes and green chilies; cover and process until smooth. Add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve with corn chips, sour cream and cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through, adding water to thin if desired. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Taco Chili
"This is simple and my family really enjoys it. I use ground turkey in place of the beef. I also substituted 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes for the diced and skipped the blender thing. I also add a can of chicken broth as otherwise it is too dry and thick."
"Delicious! I love making ths chili. It's so flavorful and hearty. The only change I made was that I omitted the step using the blender and simply added the contents of the cans without blending them."
"Yum yum! I love chili and this mixes my love of Mexican food as well. It makes so much and is just tasty all around!"
"My teenage sons absolutely love this!!!"
"This is now my favorite chili recipe! I made a few modifications to spice it up a bit more - added chili pepper and more taco seasoning. I also did not blend the chili peppers as recommended."
"We loved this chili. I left the hominy and green chilies out and used seasoned pinto beans. I cooked it on high in the crock pot for 3 hrs. It was my first try to make "scratch " chilli."
"I used ground turkey in place of beef. If you like a very spicy Chili you need to add more peppers. I like mild flavors and it was just fine for me but my husband would have enjoyed a little more heat."
"I paid attention to the directions and ingredients, so wasn't confused at all - used diced tomatoes with chipotle and the diced tomatoes with green chilies - very very good!! Left out hominy cuz I don't like it and put in extra chili beans. Added a little cilantro at the end; will DEFINITELY be making this again and again!! I didn't even have any leftovers!! THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT RECIPE!!!"
"Paula Deene has a recipe on foodnetwork.com for taco soup that is easier and delicious."
"recipe is easy to read, great slow cooker chili recipe and so tasty. Thanks for sharing with all us cooks"