- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans
- 1 can (14 ounces) hominy
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Optional toppings: corn chips, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Rinse and drain beans and hominy. Add to beef, along with canned tomatoes and green chilies, tomato sauce, onion, the dressing and seasoning mixes and pepper. Puree green chilies and remaining diced tomatoes in a covered blender until smooth; stir into beef mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Taco Chili
"This is simple and my family really enjoys it. I use ground turkey in place of the beef. I also substituted 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes for the diced and skipped the blender thing. I also add a can of chicken broth as otherwise it is too dry and thick."
"Delicious! I love making ths chili. It's so flavorful and hearty. The only change I made was that I omitted the step using the blender and simply added the contents of the cans without blending them."
"Yum yum! I love chili and this mixes my love of Mexican food as well. It makes so much and is just tasty all around!"
"My teenage sons absolutely love this!!!"
"We loved this chili. I left the hominy and green chilies out and used seasoned pinto beans. I cooked it on high in the crock pot for 3 hrs. It was my first try to make "scratch " chilli."
"I used ground turkey in place of beef. If you like a very spicy chili you need to add more peppers. I like mild flavors and it was just fine for me but my husband would have enjoyed a little more heat."
"I paid attention to the directions and ingredients, so wasn't confused at all - used diced tomatoes with chipotle and the diced tomatoes with green chilies - very very good!! Left out hominy cuz I don't like it and put in extra chili beans. Added a little cilantro at the end; will DEFINITELY be making this again and again!! I didn't even have any leftovers!! THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT RECIPE!!!"
"Paula Deene has a recipe on foodnetwork.com for taco soup that is easier and delicious."