Hearty Taco Casserole Recipe
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/3 cups plus 4 to 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring rice and 1-1/3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in enough remaining water to form a soft dough. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- 3. For filling, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water, taco seasoning and cooked rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in eggs and cilantro. Spread over crust.
- 4. Cover and bake for 15-17 minutes or until filling is set. Cut into squares. Top with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 284 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.