- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/3 cups plus 4 to 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and 1-1/3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in enough remaining water to form a soft dough. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water, taco seasoning and cooked rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in eggs and cilantro. Spread over crust.
- Cover and bake for 15-17 minutes or until filling is set. Cut into squares. Top with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Taco Casserole
Sort By :
seemed a little dry and didn't have much flavor. might try adding some salsa before I back it.
7 points ww for 6 servings i used this taco seasoning mix Ingredients1 tablespoon chili powder1/4 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon onion powder1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes1/4 teaspoon dried oregano1/2 teaspoon paprika1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin1 teaspoon sea salt1 teaspoon black pepperDirectionsIn a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
One of my go-to recipes!!
I used the idea of a previous poster and made this with the refrigerated low-fat biscuits. Turned out great!
i loved this but used the homemade taco seasoning on this site but i omitted the salt in place of the taco seasoning mix,,,,ummmm