Hearty Sweet and Tangy Meatballs Recipe
These hearty meatballs, boasting a sweet and savory sauce, can be served as an entree or in a hoagie sandwich. Either way, be prepared for compliments.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the milk, bread and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in flour.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil, in batches; drain.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Add to skillet with meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- 4. Serve immediately or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen meatballs:: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. In a large skillet, add meatballs; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
4 meatballs with about 1/3 cup sauce equals 357 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 700 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC