- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, bread and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in flour.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil, in batches; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Add to skillet with meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- Serve immediately or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen meatballs:: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. In a large skillet, add meatballs; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Meatballs in Country October/November 2009, p51
Reviews for Hearty Sweet and Tangy Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review