Hearty Stuffed Potatoes Recipe
I came up with this recipe because I wanted to add flavor to plain baked potatoes. I combined several ideas, experimented and ended up with this stuffing. It's so hearty that these potatoes can be a meal by themselves, accompanied by a tossed salad or fruit salad. -Margaret Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1/4 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tart green apple, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Bake the potatoes at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. In a medium skillet, brown sausage for 2-3 minutes. Add apple and garlic; cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until apple is tender. Add sauerkraut and caraway; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in sour cream.
- To serve, cut an "X" in the top of each potato. Fluff pulp with a fork; spoon sausage mixture over potatoes. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Stuffed Potatoes in Reminisce January/February 1997, p45
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Hearty Stuffed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2012
I would make this with turkey sausage and fat free sour cream to reduce calorie content. Otherwise, way too many calories for one meal.