I came up with this recipe because I wanted to add flavor to plain baked potatoes. I combined several ideas, experimented and ended up with this stuffing. It's so hearty that these potatoes can be a meal by themselves, accompanied by a tossed salad or fruit salad. -Margaret Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
Recommended: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1/4 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tart green apple, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Bake the potatoes at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. In a medium skillet, brown sausage for 2-3 minutes. Add apple and garlic; cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until apple is tender. Add sauerkraut and caraway; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in sour cream.
- To serve, cut an "X" in the top of each potato. Fluff pulp with a fork; spoon sausage mixture over potatoes. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Stuffed Potatoes in Reminisce January/February 1997, p45
Reviews for Hearty Stuffed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2012
"I would make this with turkey sausage and fat free sour cream to reduce calorie content. Otherwise, way too many calories for one meal."