This skillet supper was a favorite of my family when we were watching our budget, since it calls for a lot of fresh vegetables we grew in our own backyard garden. The recipe feeds a crowd, but it can easily be cut in half, too.—Vicki Berry, Galveston, Indiana
Recommended: 50 Great Ways to Make Lasagna
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 small potatoes, diced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onions, green peppers and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add butternut and acorn squash, potatoes, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until potatoes and squash are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheeses; cover and cook until cheese is melted. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Squash Skillet in Country Woman September/October 2000, p37
Reviews for Hearty Squash Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2015
"I decided to try this to get rid of some of our extra butternut squash, it was maybe a bit better than I imagined, but it wasn't something I would want to make again."
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2011