- 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Split Pea Soup
"I have been using this recipe for over 10 yrs! Soooooo good!"
"WOW great flavor, when I was making this recipe and I just got it boiling the whole house smelled like sage and I thought Oh No this isn't going to be good but after letting simmer for 2 hours it turned out fine, actually really good there isn't an over powering sage flavor like the smell I got from cooking it, it has lost of flavor and isn't watery I will make this again, thanks for the recipe."
"This is a good tasting hearty soup. I always add Italian seasonings and garlic to my soups. The ony thing differnt I'll do next time, and it's only because it's a family preference, is strain the soup and smooth it through the food processor. The taste is great, though!"
"I have made this 3 times recently using the cubed ham option! Freezes wonderfully. I freeze in individual servings to take to work for lunch! As the recipe says, cube potatoes as they need to be larger than the chopped onions & celery as we all know, they cook quicker. As soon as the peas are tender, the soup is done. It's incredible!"
"Very good soup! Hearty and very healthy."