Hearty Split Pea Soup
For a different spin on traditional split pea soup, try this recipe. The flavor is peppery rather than smoky, and the corned beef is an unexpected, tasty change of pace.
-Barbara Link, Alta Loma, California
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ham and reduced-sodium bouillon and without salt) equals 199 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.