Hearty Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing Recipe
This warm and hearty spinach and bacon salad created by our Test Kitchen offers cold-weather comfort at any meal. The glossy dressing features a hint of celery seed for a special touch.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1. Place spinach in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- 2. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, celery seed and pepper. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Remove from the heat; pour over spinach and toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 97 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC