This warm and hearty spinach and bacon salad created by our Test Kitchen offers cold-weather comfort at any meal. The glossy dressing features a hint of celery seed for a special touch.
Recommended: 44 Ways to Get More Leafy Greens in Your Life
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Place spinach in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, celery seed and pepper. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; pour over spinach and toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach with Hot Bacon Dressing in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p57
Reviews for Hearty Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2011
"Delicious! This was my first time ever having this and I love it."
Reviewed Aug. 24, 2010
"Awesome! This is a great recipe to make with your family or for guests. It was loved by all!"
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2010
"Love this recipe! Great flavors with fresh spinach from my garden."