- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Place spinach in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, celery seed and pepper. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; pour over spinach and toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach with Hot Bacon Dressing in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p57
Reviews for Hearty Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2011
"Delicious! This was my first time ever having this and I love it."
Reviewed Aug. 24, 2010
"Awesome! This is a great recipe to make with your family or for guests. It was loved by all!"
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2010
"Love this recipe! Great flavors with fresh spinach from my garden."