Field editor Julia Livingston of Frostproof, Florida sent the recipe for this spaghetti that feeds a crowd. For easy transport, assemble pasta and sauce in an insulated carrier.
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 8 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 pounds uncooked spaghetti
- In two large Dutch ovens or soup kettles, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Serve with meat sauce. Yield: 25 servings (about 3/4 cup meat sauce with 3/4 cup spaghetti).
Originally published as Hearty Spaghetti in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p8
Reviews forHearty Spaghetti
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2014
"This is 'Restaurant Quality'. I did a couple of tweaks: added more seasonings (pepper, oregano, basil, garlic) & used 4 of each crushed & diced tomatoes."