Hearty Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours or until sauce reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Discard bay leaves. Serve immediately. Or cool and pour into jars; cover and refrigerate. Yield: 19 cups.
3/4 cup: 139 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Spaghetti Sauce
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.