I received this recipe from my sister-in-law and use it all the time. The addition of pepperoni and cinnamon makes it extra special. My family says it's the best spaghetti sauce ever! —Wendy Prevost, Cody, Wyoming
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours or until sauce reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve immediately. Or cool and pour into jars; cover and refrigerate. Yield: 19 cups.
Originally published as Hearty Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p102
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review