I received this recipe from my sister-in-law and use it all the time. The addition of pepperoni and cinnamon makes it extra special. My family says it's the best spaghetti sauce ever! —Wendy Prevost, Cody, Wyoming
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours or until sauce reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve immediately. Or cool and pour into jars; cover and refrigerate. Yield: 19 cups.
Originally published as Hearty Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p102
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review