Hearty Skillet Supper
When the weather starts turning cooler, I start to hear requests for this dish. The light soy, onion and garlic flavors blend nicely with fresh carrots and potatoes in this budget-minded recipe.—Pat Jensen, Cottonwood, Minnesota
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat
- until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots,
- potatoes, water and rice.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice and vegetables are
- tender. Just before serving, stir in the soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Long grain rice has a length 4 to 5 times that of its width. When cooked, it produces light dry grains that separate easily.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 329 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,140 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.