Hearty Skillet Stew
A sweet sauce enhances the beef and vegetables in this hearty stew from Karlene Endicott of Greenwood, California. “I got the recipe from a neighbor over 38 years ago, and it’s still my husband’s favorite,” she writes.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown steak
- with onion. Stir in the cabbage, carrots, potato, water, soy sauce
- and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25
- minutes or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir
- into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or
- until thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 371 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,689 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 32 g protein.