Hearty Skillet Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown steak with onion. Stir in the cabbage, carrots, potato, water, soy sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 371 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,689 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Skillet Stew
"I used hamburger, added mushrooms, and used only 1 Tblsp sugar. one kid liked it, one kid didn't. I liked it, nice change from tomato based stews."
"The only think I did different was to put the cabbage in towards the end of the cooking so that it wouldn't get too soft. We prefer our cabbage with a little bit left to it. It was surprising how incredible it was. Addition of pepper helps too, otherwise its quite sweet."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.