Hearty Skillet Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown steak with onion. Stir in the cabbage, carrots, potato, water, soy sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 371 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1689mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Skillet Stew
"I used hamburger, added mushrooms, and used only 1 Tblsp sugar. one kid liked it, one kid didn't. I liked it, nice change from tomato based stews."
"The only think I did different was to put the cabbage in towards the end of the cooking so that it wouldn't get too soft. We prefer our cabbage with a little bit left to it. It was surprising how incredible it was. Addition of pepper helps too, otherwise its quite sweet."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.