Hearty Shrimp Risotto Recipe
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the rice, thyme, bay leaf and pepper; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the shrimp and spinach; cook until shrimp turn pink and spinach is wilted.
- 3. Stir in cheese. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 405 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 832 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.