“The whole family will love these ribs!” The meat is so tender, it will simply fall off the bone, and the gravy is perfect with either mashed potatoes or rice. -Helena Ivy of St. Louis, Missouri
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with ribs. Combine the mushrooms, soup, 1/2 cup water, gravy mix, garlic and thyme; pour over ribs. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 6-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Short Ribs in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p57
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Short Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review