Hearty Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas and carrots, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, peas and carrots, mushrooms, water, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper; heat through. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and remaining garlic powder until blended. Spread over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 419 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 985mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Hearty Shepherd's Pie
"This is the best shepherds pie I've ever had. The rosemary really gives it a unique flavor. Very savory. And the mashed potatoes on top were sooo good. My son couldn't wait for it to be done and he gobbled it up!"
"I was undecided about what to make for dinner & came across this recipe. I changed a few things--made the mashed potatoes, added more water & mixed vegs, no rosemary. It came out delicious & comforting. My son who is a picky eater asked me to make it for him again the next day. If it passes muster with him, it's a winner!"
"Delicious, easy to make. My fiance and I loved it!!"
"I added in frozen peas and corn plus I did 1/2 pond each ground beef and pork. What a great comforting meal."
"I loved, loved, loved this recipe. I thought all the ingredients went well together. My husband, on the other hand, said it was just ok. I don't think he cared for the flavor of the dried rosemary. Oh well, leaves more for me! The only thing I changed was I used the frozen peas and carrots instead of canned."
"I have been looking for a great shepherd's pie recipe for a long time. this one is great! my kids even loved it :) i cant wait to make this again. also i used thyme instead of rosemary"
"Delicious recipe! I modified it to exclude the rosemary and used cream of potato soup instead. it was a huge hit with the family!"
"A great way to use up extra mashed potatoes. The whole family enjoyed it."
"I loved this recipe. It was so good and easy. I used healthy request soup to lighten it up a bit and a pouch of betty crocker mashed potatoes"
"This was really good! I did use fresh mushrooms and cooked them with the beef and onions instead of canned mushrooms. As others have stated, the only thing I would change is maybe use less salt. There's so much flavor it doesn't really need it."
"My husband raved about this recipe last night. I used thawed frozen peas & carrots as I thought the canned ones would be to mushy. Also, I omitted the salt and used unsalted mushrooms, then increased the pepper. Can't wait for a cool fall night to eat this by the fire!"
"This was very good."
"This Shepherd's Pie was great. Loved using the Rosemary and the mashed potatos were yummy with the cream cheese and sour cream. Next time I will definately cut down the salt and then this will be perfect!"