Hearty Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas and carrots, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, peas and carrots, mushrooms, water, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper; heat through. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and remaining garlic powder until blended. Spread over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
"This is the best shepherds pie I've ever had. The rosemary really gives it a unique flavor. Very savory. And the mashed potatoes on top were sooo good. My son couldn't wait for it to be done and he gobbled it up!"
"I was undecided about what to make for dinner & came across this recipe. I changed a few things--made the mashed potatoes, added more water & mixed vegs, no rosemary. It came out delicious & comforting. My son who is a picky eater asked me to make it for him again the next day. If it passes muster with him, it's a winner!"
"Delicious, easy to make. My fiance and I loved it!!"
"I added in frozen peas and corn plus I did 1/2 pond each ground beef and pork. What a great comforting meal."
"I loved, loved, loved this recipe. I thought all the ingredients went well together. My husband, on the other hand, said it was just ok. I don't think he cared for the flavor of the dried rosemary. Oh well, leaves more for me! The only thing I changed was I used the frozen peas and carrots instead of canned."