Hearty Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas and carrots, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, peas and carrots, mushrooms, water, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper; heat through. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and remaining garlic powder until blended. Spread over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Shepherd's Pie(12)
Sort By :
I was undecided about what to make for dinner & came across this recipe. I changed a few things--made the mashed potatoes, added more water & mixed vegs, no rosemary. It came out delicious & comforting. My son who is a picky eater asked me to make it for him again the next day. If it passes muster with him, it's a winner!
Delicious, easy to make. My fiance and I loved it!!
I added in frozen peas and corn plus I did 1/2 pond each ground beef and pork. What a great comforting meal.
I loved, loved, loved this recipe. I thought all the ingredients went well together. My husband, on the other hand, said it was just ok. I don't think he cared for the flavor of the dried rosemary. Oh well, leaves more for me! The only thing I changed was I used the frozen peas and carrots instead of canned.
I have been looking for a great shepherd's pie recipe for a long time. this one is great! my kids even loved it :) i cant wait to make this again. also i used thyme instead of rosemary
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Pea Recipes >