Hearty Sausage Stromboli Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 6 slices Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, salt, oregano, garlic and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut top third off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 3. Line bottom half with three mozzarella cheese slices; top with sausage mixture and remaining cheese. Replace bread top. Wrap sandwich loaf in foil.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 411 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1,016 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.