Hearty Sausage Stromboli Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, salt, oregano, garlic and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut top third off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 3. Line bottom half with three mozzarella cheese slices; top with sausage mixture and remaining cheese. Replace bread top. Wrap sandwich loaf in foil.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 411 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1,016 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Stromboli
"I thought this was pretty good, but felt it was lacking "something". Next time I think I would use maybe pizza sauce rather than tomato paste. The only thing I did differently was not use mushrooms since my husband doesn't care for them."
"This stuff is awesome!!! It's now a family favorite, and a couple of my friends families too!"
"Very delicious recipe. I chop up the onion, green pepper and mushrooms very small so my son will eat them. As long as he doesn't know they are there, he loves it, too."
"Instead of buying a loaf of of Italian Bread, I baked a loaf from Pillsbury...and my Holiday Party guests LOVED this easy and tasty recipe!"