My daughters shared this recipe with me, and I've since shared it with many others. It fits the bill for economy of time and money. Plus, it tastes great! —Nellie Lamb, Muskogee, Oklahoma
- 1/2 pound fresh kielbasa or Polish sausage links
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- In a large saucepan, cook sausages over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch slices; set aside.
- In the drippings, saute onion and pepper until crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, apple juice, parsley, garlic, basil, oregano and sausages. Bring to a boil; add pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan; add water to thin if necessary. Cover and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Sausage Stew in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010, p27
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review