Hearty Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh kielbasa or Polish sausage links
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- In a large saucepan, cook sausages over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch slices; set aside.
- In the drippings, saute onion and pepper until crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, apple juice, parsley, garlic, basil, oregano and sausages. Bring to a boil; add pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan; add water to thin if necessary. Cover and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Yield: 7 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Stew(14)
Sort By :
Was very good to us
sounds great if you don't worry about fat and about getting all your salt for the day in one serving!
Way to much sodium (1,793mg) if I can lower the sodium by 85% to 269 mg per serving then I will make it for my family, just needs to be healthier
Thank you for the recipe, but we did not care for the sweet taste of this stew. I'm sure some others will like it, we we will move on.
We made this the whole family loved it