With its creamy stroganoff-style filling, this flavorful sandwich seems like something special. But at 98¢ a serving, it's an easy and economical choice for a casual weeknight meal. —Jillene Brown, Buckeye, Arizona
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the cream cheese, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, water and oregano. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Place bread bottom on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese; top with sausage mixture and remaining cheese. Replace bread top. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Sausage Sandwich in Taste of Home April/May 2008, p30
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review