Hearty Sausage Sandwich Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the cream cheese, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, water and oregano. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Place bread bottom on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese; top with sausage mixture and remaining cheese. Replace bread top. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Sandwich(20)
Sort By :
Made this for Family Fun Night last night. It was quick and easy and the whole family loved it. We'll definitely use this one again!
Made this the other day and the family declared it a keeper!! It was pretty simple and tasted delicious. I did use turkey Italian sausage and reduced fat cream cheese and it still tasted amazing!!!
My husband and I both thought this was awful. The cream cheese and sausage was not a good combination. If you do decide to make it, I would suggest cutting off the top third of the bread so you end up with more of a bowl to hold the filling.
All I have to say is OMGosh... Delicious. I added a little red pepper to mine as well but did follow this recipe to the T... I will be making this again and again.. Thank you soooo much... Yummo!
This was amazing! I used low fat cream cheese and sliced mozerella just on the bottom layer. My husband begged me to print the recipe and keep it as one of my regulars. And even all 4 of my kids liked it!! Unbelieveably good!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Budget Dinner Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Sandwiches >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >