- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrots over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled minestrone in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Minestrone
Sort By :
"Great recipe--I tripled the recipe for a big family reunion this past weekend and it was perfect for a windy, cool fall afternoon. I added extra carrots, celery and onion because I want to oomph up the amount of soup. Very easy to make and delicious! I had some leftover that I froze to enjoy another day, so we look forward to having it again!"
"Didn't use the beans, but included everything else. I added a 1/4 tsp each of oregano and basil since my diced tomatoes weren't seasoned. Outstanding recipe!"
"Fabulous!!! Very tasty!!"