Hearty Sausage Loaf Recipe
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Meanwhile, brown sausage with garlic and fennel seed in a skillet. Drain and cool. Add eggs and cheeses; mix well.
- 2. Punch dough down and roll each loaf into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place half of the sausage mixture on each rectangle, spreading to within 1 in. of edges. Roll jelly-roll style, starting at the narrow end. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Brush with melted butter while warm. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (3 each) equals 160 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Loaf
"After the bread is filled and rolled, is it suppose to rise again before baking, and if so, how long?"
"I HAVE REPEATEDLY FIXED THIS BREAKFAST LOAF FOR THE CREW AT WORK. THEY ASK ME TO MAKE IT OFTEN. IT,S EASY TO CARRY AND SERVE, NO FUSS NO MESS."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.