Hearty Sausage Loaf
Finding fun and different breakfast recipes is a real challenge, so I was happy when I stumbled upon this one! Your family and friends will love the meal-in-one appeal of this breakfast loaf.
16-20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Meanwhile, brown sausage
- with garlic and fennel seed in a skillet. Drain and cool. Add eggs
- and cheeses; mix well.
- Punch dough down and roll each loaf into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle.
- Place half of the sausage mixture on each rectangle, spreading to
- within 1 in. of edges. Roll jelly-roll style, starting at the narrow
- end. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Brush with melted butter while
- warm. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 160 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.