Finding fun and different breakfast recipes is a real challenge, so I was happy when I stumbled upon this one! Your family and friends will love the meal-in-one appeal of this breakfast loaf.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Meanwhile, brown sausage with garlic and fennel seed in a skillet. Drain and cool. Add eggs and cheeses; mix well.
- Punch dough down and roll each loaf into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place half of the sausage mixture on each rectangle, spreading to within 1 in. of edges. Roll jelly-roll style, starting at the narrow end. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Brush with melted butter while warm. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Sausage Loaf in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p59
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review