Finding fun and different breakfast recipes is a real challenge, so I was happy when I stumbled upon this one! Your family and friends will love the meal-in-one appeal of this breakfast loaf.
Recommended: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Meanwhile, brown sausage with garlic and fennel seed in a skillet. Drain and cool. Add eggs and cheeses; mix well.
- Punch dough down and roll each loaf into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place half of the sausage mixture on each rectangle, spreading to within 1 in. of edges. Roll jelly-roll style, starting at the narrow end. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Brush with melted butter while warm. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Sausage Loaf in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p59
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2008
"I HAVE REPEATEDLY FIXED THIS breakfast LOAF FOR THE CREW AT WORK. THEY ASK ME TO MAKE IT OFTEN. IT,S EASY TO CARRY AND SERVE, NO FUSS NO MESS."