Hearty Sausage Chili Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup hot chili beans
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute sausage and peppers in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, chili sauce, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 cups.
1-1/3 cups (prepared with Italian turkey sausage links; calculated without sour cream) equals 256 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1,051 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 18 g protein.