“The company I work for has an annual Chili Cook-Off, and this unusual recipe of mine was a winner,” writes Carolyn Etzler from Thurmont, Maryland. “It combines two other recipes and includes a touch or two of my own.”
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Add onion; cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Sausage-Chicken Chili in Light & Tasty December/January 2008, p27
Reviews for Hearty Sausage-Chicken Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2009
"This is the first chili that my husband don't really mind eating. He's not a huge fan of too many beans, but I usually just up the amount of meat in it. I also substitue a rotissere chicken for the chicken thighs. We really like this chili!"