Hearty Sausage and Rice Skillet Recipe
At the end of the day, who wants a stack of dishes to wash? That’s why we love this entree: It cooks in one skillet and everyone cleans their plates! —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1. Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm. Saute the mushrooms, pepper and onion in oil in the same pan until tender.
- 2. Return sausage to pan. Stir in the tomatoes, spinach, water, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- 3. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC