- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 pound sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon. Discard drippings in pan.
- Add onions to same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, celery, parsley, bay leaf, brown sugar, oregano, salt and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
- Remove 1 cup sauce from pan. Stir cooked sausage into remaining sauce. Spread reserved sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and half of each of the following: sausage mixture, ricotta, mozzarella and provolone. Repeat layers (dish will be full).
- Bake, covered, 55-65 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Sausage and Cheese Lasagna
Sort By :
"A very good and VERY cheesy lasagna. I would make this one again, but I think I've had better. I think I like it better with ground beef as opposed to sausage, but that is just a personal preference."
"This was a hit at our dinner party this evening. Thanks for the great recipe – I'll use it again!"