Hearty Sausage 'n' Beans
Our son, Will, is a brand new dad. He cooked this blend of sausage, beans, tomatoes and rice when we came to visit our newborn granddaughter, Jenna. The beauty of the dish is the simplicity: Toss the ingredients in one pan, simmer, and you've got dinner. Add corn bread and a tossed salad on the side. —Will Owen, Waco, Texas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion in oil over medium heat until
- onion is tender. Add the beans, water, tomatoes and salad dressing
- mix. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1.333 cups equals 561 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,624 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 21 g protein.